We are sad to announce that unfortunately Barry McMahon will not be able to present in this fall’s seminar series due to reasons out of our and his control. However, we are happy to introduce a fantastic replacement speaker – Monika Dolejska – who will give a presentation on October 13, also on the role of wildlife in transmission of AMR. She will be joined by EMBARK’s Victor Hugo Jarquin Diaz, who will talk about AMR spread in rodents. Very exciting topic and we hope all of you will join us on October 13. Register here!
There is now an opening to join the EMBARK team, specifically in the Berendonk lab, where a position as research associate is currently open for applications. The application deadline is on October 8, 2021.
The EMBARK webinar series continues in the fall, starting September 1. We already have three confirmed invited speakers who will present their research and be contrasted to EMBARK members presenting the work performed in the project. This will be followed by a discussion and Q&A. All the webinars, except for one, will take place at 14:00 CEST (12:00 UTC).
These are the three already scheduled webinars:
- September 1: Amy Pruden – “Towards coordinated local and global surveillance of antibiotic resistance at wastewater treatment plants”
Thomas Berendonk – “AMR in WWTPs – the European perspective”
- September 22: Gautam Dantas – “Predicting and Combating Biotic and Abiotic Perturbations to Diverse Microbiomes”
Johan Bengtsson-Palme – “Antibiotic perturbations to interactions in microbial communities”
- October 13: Monika Dolejska – “Antibiotic resistance is going wild”
Victor Hugo Jarquin Diaz – “AMR spread in rodents”
- November 10: Michael Baym – “Exploring non-anthropic selective pressures on antibiotic resistance”
Uli Klümper – TBA
- November 24: Nikolina Udikovic Kolic – “Pharmaceutical waste and antimicrobial resistance”
Ulrike Löber – “Drugs as antidotes – How drugs affect the damage on gut commensals under antibiotics course“
- December 15: Willem van Schaik – “Metagenomic approaches to understand the spread of antibiotic resistance genes in microbial ecosystems”
Svetlana Ugarcina Perovic – TBA
The first two spring webinars have now been posted on the new EMBARK YouTube channel! Tune in to watch Gerry Wright talk about approaches to measure and monitor AMR in various environments, and Heike Schmitt preset the international efforts for one-health surveillance of AMR within WHO Tricycle.
The remaining two EMBARK Webinars from the spring will also be posted online later this summer.
Today we will have the third webinar of the EMBARK Webinar Series!
The invited speaker today is Dearbháile Morris who will give a talk entitled “What lurks beneath: the role of water in the transmission and persistence of AMR”. She will be complemented by our own Rabaab Zahra who will talk about “E. coli STs and Resistance Mechanisms in Sewage from Islamabad”.
This will be followed by a short Q&A, including discussion between the two presenters and the moderator
Register here for the webinar, which will begin at 12:00 UTC (14:00 CEST).